http://dixieoutfitters.com






PoP's Southern Thangs: Living in Louisiana

10/15/2011

Living in Louisiana

by Al Benson Jr.

Those who know me know that I was born and raised in the North, yet I and my family are Copperheads by choice and we now live in the South by choice.

Some Southern folks resent Northerners and think they only come down here to change the culture here and enjoy the climate, and folks, you have to admit the climate during January is lots better here than up there. As to changing Southern culture, we did not move down here to do that. Rather we came to partake of Southern culture. The last thing we want is to see the South turn into what we came down here to get away from. So we attempt in our small way to promote Southern culture. We try to buy products made here in the South as opposed to "stuff" made in China, Thailand, or New Jersey.

We have been here for nine years now and love it. Barring some family emergency we have no intention of moving back North. The fact is, there are lots of folks up North who would love to live down here, and not to change the culture, but just to enjoy it. It's more laid back, slower, friendlier, and North Louisiana has one of the largest Scots-Irish populations in the country. Seeing that we have some Highland folks in our ancestry that suits us fine. I know the Southern Poverty Law Center would consider that a "racist" statement, but what can I say? Sorry folks. That's how it is.

A few years ago a Southern lady I knew commented about some people living there that were "damnyankees" and I reminded her that I originally came from up there. Her comment back to me was "you've assimilated." I considered that a compliment.

One thing that really ticks me off is schools that have classes to help Southern students "lose" their Southern accents. To me this is a cultural assault on heritage down here--one of the many aspects of cultural genocide routinely practiced on the Southern states. I doubt that there are any classes in schools anywhere to help students from New Jersey lose their accents, and believe me, I think they need lots more help in that area than someone from Mississippi.

Just a few thoughts about living in the South.

2 Comments:

Blogger PoP The Southern American said...

Brother Al,

Thank you for your support. You Sir, are a rock in the Southern movement.

GB/PoP

October 15, 2011 at 3:45 PM  
Blogger Al Benson Jr. said...

PoP,

This is a good format for me to pass along material that I hope might be of interest and help to other folks.

Al

October 15, 2011 at 11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Contact
PoP Aaron
The Southern American

HERE